The best thing about soda bread is that it is so easy and quick to make. It’s absolutely delicious eaten sliced by itself or with a bowl of warm soup.
Ingredients (makes 1 large loaf):
- 450g/ 1lb plain white flour, preferably unbleached
- 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan Salt
- 50g sundried tomatoes
- 50g cheese, preferably mozarella or chedar
- about 400ml/ 14 fl oz buttermilk
You can add freshly chopped basil, sage or thyme. Try it with different types of cheese.
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Gradually mix in the buttermilk to give a moist dough. Place in greased 900g/2lb loaf tin and bake in an oven preheated to 230ºC/450ºF/gas mark 8 for 30 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when turned out of the tin and tapped underneath. Place on a wire rack to cool.